Wednesday, January 12, 2011

School Days

Hello everyone!

Here is what everyone has been saying for the last couple of days!

Rachel (Gundy)

Today was a great experience teaching a very regimented management class a whole group lesson. The experience was something I will learn from forever. I feel as if I have a new direction to strengthen in my teaching: management. The walk/street car back and forth to school is getting difficult. The chiropractor is going to be getting a call. Tomorrow, the principal wanted students to bring all winter attire because it is supposed to be about 40 degrees… I don’t miss Wisconsin when she says that.


Lauren


I am in a kindergarten classroom which is interesting overall because I am not the biggest fan of kindergarten.  When I first got to the classroom I loved it and fell in love with the students and they are just so sweet and willing to learn.  On the other hand when teaching today, although the sight word bingo went great, I released again why I don't want to teach kindergarten.  The students do not have the behavior control or the prior knowledge that I wish they would have.  Overall today was great and my connection with one of my students has just grown.  He has touched my heart and I am going to be extremely hurt when it is time to say goodbye.  I think about his smile and the confidence growing within him because of me and smile. I am truly blessed to meet him and can't believe how much he's impacted myself in just three days.  He is the reason I get up every morning and the reason I want to be a teacher.  I want to impact students for a whole year the way I have impacted this boy is three days.


Brittany


Hello! It's Brittany here!

I am having a WONDERFUL time in New Orleans. I love everything from the school we are working in, to the sight seeing that we are doing, to the beignets at Cafe du Monde! I honestly would not be having as great of an experience if it wasn't for all of the people I am with and all of the people I have met.  This trip is meant to be a time for us to learn and develop as pre-service teachers.  But, honestly, we all have already grown so much more beyond just development as teachers. We have learned first hand stories about the impacts of Hurricane Katrina, the struggles of some of those living in poverty in New Orleans, and we have learned an unexplainable amount about each other and teaching.  I am so grateful for this priceless experience/rollarcoaster that we are all on. Part of me feels like I never want to get off the rollarcoaster, but another part of me cannot wait to get off it and sleep more than 4 hours at night! 

Em
Today was sure a change of pace.  In addition to our kindergartners, Noelle and I are now helping out in Miss Leah's Pre-Kinder room!  We both worked on writing Nursery Rhymes on sentence strips.  Tomorrow I will be teaching guided reading and helping out in centers.  School has been keeping everybody busy, but last night, Tim, Noelle, Brittany and I we were able to enjoy ourselves at Cafe Du Mount for a quick adventure out to get excellent hot chocolate and other goodies.

As Noelle and I are wrapping up what we are going to say on our last day at morning meeting, I have tears on my face.  I can't believe our trip is over halfway over.  I really hope to return back to New Orleans or teach in another urban city school in the future.

Many thanks to everybody's love and support!

E

Noelle
These past couple days have been such a great learning experience!I have created some really good sight word games and brought technology in the classroom. Seeing my students eyes light up when bringing in Ipads melted my heart! My guided reading lessons have been a blast, students are making book covers concentrating on what a title is, and the author and illustrator! I have learned so much from Mrs. Krebs with intervention. I think its a great way to target a specific area of reading a student needs to help grow. Morris Jeff keeps surprising me with how much compassion the teachers and faculty have for the students. Being able to show the students love by hugging has helped me build very strong connections with my students that will be greatly missed! 

Andrea
Today was a great day.  I love spending time with these students.  Everyday they teach me how to be a better and stronger person and put a smile on my face.  I will forever let my light shine all around the world just the way Morris Jeff is teaching me to do!  I love ya'll!

Katie B
I can't believe it is already Wednesday! This week has been amazing and is going by so fast! I love the 1st grade class I am in and I am going to be so sad to leave them! I have grown so much as a teacher and as a person while at Morris Jeff and I can't wait to let my light shine all around the world. :) 

Katie H
Today, I was able to make even deeper connections to my students. Around lunch time my student Veronica was very sad. I promised her I would save her a spot at the table right next to me! She came, but would only sit on my lap. The whole lunch period she sat and I helped make her smile which she defiantly needed! It was such a wonderful experience to have with her.

And last but not least, the only human being on this TRIP with a Y chromosome...ME!

I feel as if we have been a part of this school for the whole year.  They accepted us within the first day and it keeps getting better and better.  I can honestly say that this has been the best pre-service teaching throughout my entire college career.  Gundy and I have been blessed with a great teacher and class.  My "exploding fists" have been a popular positive reenforcement throughout the school as various students are now using it.  I would love to write more, but my brain can't function anymore because I have been working on lessons and reflections for the past four hours (after the eight hours of being in the school)!  The constant homework and lack of sleep is the only drawback, but in all honesty...it is completely worth it.

Peace,
Mr. Tim

PS: Beignets are must when traveling to NOLA (especially at Cafe du Monde)!

1 comment: